Many American homes are equipped with stoves which can tip over when weight is applied to the oven door. Retailers and manfacturers have long been aware of the hazard and have developed voluntary standards for design and installation of anti-tipping devices. However because the standards are voluntary, they are often not implemented.
Many injuries have been reported with tiping stoves, including one instance where a child caused the stove to tip, and hot soup spilled all over him, causing scald injuries.
There are a number of parties that are responsible for ensuring the safety of stoves. These obviously include the retailer and the manufacturer. These parties have the awareness of the hazard and the expertise to correct it.
In apartment buildings, landlords normally provide appliances such as an oven, and therefore have responsibility to ensure that the oven is properly installed, including the anti-tipping brackets described in the news story.