The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

A guest at an Arkansas motel was found dead in her room. An investigation into the cause of her death showed that she died due to carbon monoxide entering into her room due to a leak in a pipe which was a part of a natural gas heater.

Besides the one fatality, two other guests were hospitalized for treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Motels are responisble for maintaining their premises in safe condition for their guests. This includes properly maintaining and inspecting the components of equipment such as the furnace. This is especially true since carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, meaning that guests at the motel have no way of knowing that carbon monoxide is present.

A new Illinois law requires the use of carbon monoxide detectors in many residential or sleeping areas. This is a cheap and effective way to prevent a lot of easily avoided deaths.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest