The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

The DuPage County Health Department closed a Subway restaurant located at 1009 E. Roosevelt Road in Lombard pending additional results of an investigation after several customers contracted gastrointestinal illnesses.

Eight cases of shigellosis, an infectious disease caused by a bacterium called shigella, have been confirmed. Four people were hospitalized.

It develops from eating contaminated food and can pass from one infected person to the next. Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, fever and stomach cramps one to two days after exposure. This illness can be passed from one infected person to the next and can be acquired from eating contaminated food. Thus, those with shigellosis should not prepare foods or beverages to be consumed by others. Careful washing of hands with soap and water can stop or prevent the illness.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest