08232017Headline:

Cook County, Illinois

HomeIllinoisCook County

Email Barry Doyle Barry Doyle on LinkedIn Barry Doyle on Twitter Barry Doyle on Facebook
Barry Doyle
Barry Doyle
Contributor •

Residents in group home suffer carbon monoxide poisoning

Comments Off

Residents and rescuers alike were suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning after the gas entered a group home due to a faulty flue on a hot water heater. The levels of carbon monoxide were 100 times that normally considered safe.

One person died from carbon monoxide poisoning and six others had to be hospitalized.

Operators of group home such as this have an obligation to keep the premises in safe working order which includes major appliances such as the hot water heater. Because the hot water heater generates carbon monoxide as a result of normal use, it must be kept in proper repair with adequate venting.

Carbon monoxide detectors should be used where possible to allow early warning of unsafe accumulations of the colorless, odorless, but deadly gas.